What is Postpartum Depression?
New moms often grapple with a lot of new feelings and challenges. Motherhood would often lead to major emotional changes from fear to joy, to sadness, to excitement, to stress etc. Reasons might include sudden hormonal changes that would often cause sleeplessness, body aches, and mood swings. Such symptoms trigger clinical depression in women during or after childbirth or pregnancy which is specifically known by the term Postpartum Depression. And almost 1 in every 9 women experiences such depressive episodes, especially during the first baby’s birth. It’s often confused with ‘baby blues’ which only lasts for 1-2 weeks after the childbirth. However, postpartum depression lasts more than 3 weeks of the childbirth
How To Help Someone With Postpartum Depression?
Any person whether a husband, friend or any other family member could help a woman having Postpartum Depression because if the situation left untreated it would even affect the baby’s health and emotions as well. There could be certain ways to help a new mom or women with Postpartum Depression.
- Support and help could make her feel better. Whether it’s associated with baby or mother, ask and help her in every task. Support her decisions for herself and baby and recommend things properly in a supportive way.
- Listen to her feelings as a new mom or the challenges she might be facing. Don’t tell her that she’s exaggerating the situation. Rather listen to her fears and try to help her feel safe.
- Don’t compare her situation and challenges with other women. Don’t make her feel like that happened to everyone she isn’t alone bearing that situation.
- Let her remind that she’s at her best in handling the situation. Experiencing and facing challenges for the first time is difficult for everyone so appreciate her efforts and stand by her side to support as much as possible.
- Eat healthy food especially consume omega-3 fatty acids after childbirth. Because new moms often have low levels of DHA that would easily trigger postpartum depression. Flaxseed oil is also beneficial especially to vegetarians.
- Exercise and walk especially in the fresh air could be very beneficial to calm the nerves. Regular exposure to sunlight would also be something most recommended by the doctors to preclude depressive states in new moms.
- New mother often focuses more at their babies’ responsibilities forgetting their care. Self-care is the key to a happy and relaxed mind so a mother should also take enough rest and spare some time for her care. People around could also help her or care for her in that case.
- Problems in breast-feeding are often common in new moms. Either they don’t know the appropriate way to feed that could trigger postpartum depression and stress or itself stress or postpartum depression could lead issues during breast-feeding. Better is to consult a doctor immediately while facing this issue.
- Socializing or exploring more ways to help a new mom would resist depressive episodes and ease the challenges one has to face after childbirth.